Virginia Tech has facilities in several localities of the greater Washington, D.C., metro area:
Virginia Tech Innovation Campus
In 2018 Virginia Tech announced the launch of the Virginia Tech Innovation Campus in Alexandria’s Potomac Yard District, about two miles from Amazon's new location in Arlington. The university's Innovation Campus will triple Virginia Tech’s footprint in Northern Virginia and will be a magnet for leading tech talent, research, and education. The first building will open in 2024 and will include 300,000 square feet of academic space and cutting-edge research and development facilities. Additional space in the district will support corporate partnerships of the university. The broader district will include commercial retail, housing and office space.
While the new space is being developed, students will attend courses virtually and at Virginia Tech’s Northern Virginia Center located in Falls Church. Development of the new campus and its academic programs is being led from start-up space at 3000 Potomac Avenue, just a few blocks from the site of the new campus. This start-up space opened in 2020 and is referred to as Innovation Campus HQ.
1001 Prince Street
Virginia Tech’s presence in Old Town Alexandria dates back to 1980.
In 1981, following a successful pilot program in Old Town, the College of Architecture and Urban Studies (CAUS) formally launched the Washington Alexandria Architecture Center (WAAC). The Foundation purchased the center’s home at 1001 Prince Street. Built in 1910 as the Lee School for Girls, the City of Alexandria used the building as a public school until 1980.
In 2001 the Virginia Tech Foundation also purchased the building at 1021 Prince Street. In addition to the two teaching locations on Prince Street, the university owns two other buildings on Patrick Street – the Gallery, a student housing location, and the Rectory.
900 N. Glebe Road
Virginia Tech has had a presence in Arlington since 2005 when the Advanced Research Institute (ARI) – launched in Alexandria as the Alexandria Research Institute in 1999 – was renamed and relocated to leased space on Wilson Boulevard in the Ballston area of Arlington.
In June 2011 the university opened the doors of its newly built Virginia Tech Research Center – Arlington at 900 N. Glebe Road., designed as a nucleus for discovery to expand the university's capability for new scientific inquiry and to extend its footprint in the Washington, D.C., metro area. ARI and a number of other already established Virginia Tech research centers and institutes, previously located throughout the northern Virginia area, moved to this facility. In close proximity to government agencies and other public and private-sector organizations, the Ballston location offers great opportunity for partnerships with corporate research entities.
The research center is owned by the Virginia Tech Foundation.
Research in the center is organized around five focused themes: Cyber-security; Medical Technologies and imaging; Policy Informatics; Alternative Energy; and Global, National and Community Security.
7054 Haycock Road
In 1969 Virginia Tech launched its first northern Virginia graduate center in a Reston, Va., farmhouse, not far from Falls Church. Having outgrown that space by 1973, Virginia Tech moved to shared space with the University of Virginia on the first floor of the Dulles International Airport Gateway 1 building. In 1981, the two universities moved their graduate centers to Telestar Court in Falls Church where they remained for the next 16 years.
Then, in 1997, Virginia Tech and the University of Virginia dedicated the Northern Virginia Center (NVC), 7054 Haycock Road, a 105,000-square-foot building located adjacent to the West Falls Church Metro station.
Administrative offices for the center and for the Graduate School in the Washington ,D.C., metro area are headquartered in the Falls Church facility.
17690 Old Waterford Road
In September 2009 the Marion duPont Scott Equine Medical Center (EMC), at 17690 Old Waterford Road at Morven Park, celebrated its 25th anniversary as a teaching hospital in Leesburg. Located in the heart of Virginia thoroughbred country, it has since become a premier full-service equine hospital that offers advanced specialty care, 24-hour emergency treatment and diagnostic services for all ages and breeds of horses.
The EMC is one of three campuses of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, with board certified veterinarians in anesthesia, internal medicine, and surgery, as well as veterinarians in residency training programs, and licensed veterinary technicians. About 2600 horses are admitted to the center each year.
Throughout the year, the center offers a variety of community education and networking events for veterinarians, horse owners, and horse professionals.
The EMC was made possible through a gift from the late Mrs. Marion duPont Scott, the donation of 200 acres of land at Morven Park from the Westmoreland Davis Memorial Foundation, and contributions from the private sector.
9408 Prince William Street
In 1972 Virginia Tech established the Occoquan Watershed Monitoring Laboratory (OWML) at 9408 Prince William Street. The OWML is responsible for making determinations in a number of areas critical to the ongoing management of water quality in the Occoquan watershed, which is situated on the southwestern periphery of the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C. The basin encompasses six political subdivisions, which include portions of four counties and the entire land area of two independent cities.
Research projects at the OWML are conducted jointly with Virginia Tech faculty and investigators from a wide range of other institutions, including other research universities and public agencies both in the Commonwealth of Virginia and elsewhere.
Since its founding, the Occoquan Watershed Monitoring program has built a successful hydrologic and water quality data acquisition and analysis system that forms the basis of regional watershed management decision-making. The system has made it possible for the local governments of northern Virginia to successfully deal with the competing uses of urban development (and the attendant wastewater discharges and urban runoff) and public water supply in a critical watershed-impoundment system.
5527 Sullivans Mill Road
A 420-acre farm in the heart of northern Virginia's hunt country, the Middleburg Agricultural Research and Extension (MARE) Center at 5527 Sullivans Mill Road was donated with a supporting grant to Virginia Tech in 1949 by the late Paul Mellon and his wife. For 40 years, the facility was used mainly for beef cattle research. In 1992, the MARE Center was rededicated to equine research.
Since then the MARE Center has been instrumental in advancing the frontier of knowledge related to the care and well-being of the horse. Many of today's common practices regarding equine nutrition, growth and development, pasture management and exercise physiology were developed as a result of research conducted at the center.
In 2010, continuing to forward Mellon's vision, Virginia Tech launched a unique learning experience for graduate and undergraduate students. Participants in Virginia Tech's new Equine Studies Program at Middleburg contribute to all aspects of a large-scale research facility, outreach center, and commercial equine enterprise while simultaneously engaging in a full semester of coursework. This immersive learning environment is designed for those students with a sincere desire to become leaders in the horse industry, academia, or the veterinary sciences. Students also have the opportunity to enroll in summer internship programs and independent research projects at the center, distance learning courses, and study abroad programs.
Faculty at the MARE Center have teamed up with Virginia Tech's School of Education and Department of Agricultural and Extension Education to design and assess new teaching and learning strategies for equine science education.
Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Children's National Research and Innovation Campus
In November of 2019 Children’s National Hospital and Virginia Tech announced a formal partnership that will include the construction of a 12,000-square-foot Virginia Tech biomedical research facility within the new Children’s National Research & Innovation Campus. The new collaboration brings together Virginia Tech with Children’s National, a U.S. News & World Report top 10 children’s hospital, on what will be the nation’s first innovation campus focused on pediatric research.
The 12-acre Children’s National Research & Innovation Campus, part of a 70-acre development located at 7144 13th Pl NW, formerly the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, will also become a hub for commercial innovation. Researchers at Virginia Tech will also benefit from the opportunity to collaborate with entrepreneurs working at JLABS @ Washington, DC, a science incubator partnership between Children’s National and Johnson & Johnson, to commercialize discoveries made in the lab.